Sunday, July 12, 2015

A short, damp post from not-so-sunny Florida

What is it lately?  I don't seem to have much luck.  After having suffered through seventeen winter snow storms, a rainy spring, and some of what might dubiously be called "summer" in New Jersey, I traveled to visit a friend in Tampa.  Only to discover that rain is predicted for at least the next ten days.

Don't get me wrong.  Muggy, wet weather in Florida still trumps damp, cold weather in New Jersey.  I'm not griping.  But I'm starting to feel like Joe Btfsplk again.

For those of you who don't know who Joe Btfsplk is, he is a cartoon character from an old comic called L'il Abner.  Joe had a perpetual cloud of gloom over his head that followed him wherever he went.  The reference seems both literal and figurative with regards to my current situation.

Joe Btfsplk.  Do not ask me how to pronounce his name.
So, what to do here while it's raining seems to be the question of the day.  Well, as my readers may know, my enjoyment of a place is not exclusively dependent on typical tourist activities.  I've been to the Tampa area several times and have seen many of the gardens, museums, beaches, etc.  I'm staying with my friend, Sylvia, a gracious hostess, terrific cook, and all-around fun person to hang around with.

The weather is not a tragedy.

I merely feel that Florida has lied to me.

No comments: